Date published: November 23, 2010
From the Shop Syracuse website.
1. Significantly More Money Recirculates in Syracuse. When you buy local, more money is kept in the community to benefit the Greater Syracuse tax base.
2. Unique Businesses Create Character & Prosperity. It makes us a destination. The character of Syracuse defines our local community and helps generate tourism. By preserving local businesses, we offer alternatives to tourists visiting the Syracuse area.
3. Environmental Impact Is Reduced. Businesses can utilize local resources to make eco-friendly decisions. Community members are less likely to disperse when businesses are centrally located which also decreases congestion and pollution.
4. Most New Jobs are Provided By Local Businesses. Local businesses help employ citizens of the Syracuse area. If we continue to buy local, job creation will expand and help build a more sustainable community.
5. Customer Service Is Better.
6. Non-Profits Receive Greater Support.
7. Local Business Owners Invest In Community. When local business owners give back, they help to reinforce the buy local movement.
8. Public Benefits Far Outweigh Public Costs. Local businesses utilize public services and local spending to ensure that sales tax is reinvested in the community.
9. Competition and Diversity Lead To More Consumer Choices.
10. Investment In Greater Syracuse Is Encouraged. Due to their distinct character and autonomous nature, entrepreneurs are more likely to settle in sustainable areas. Nurturing local businesses strengthens our community.