Date published: September 1, 2011
Recipes from our kitchen and yours, in 30 minutes or less
Grilled chicken Greek salad
Elena Burgeno-Berman, CARDIFF-BY-THE-SEA, CA
SERVES 4 | 30 MINUTES
3 tbsp. lemon juice, divided
3 tbsp. olive oil, divided
1 tbsp. minced garlic, divided
1 tsp. each kosher salt and pepper, divided
1½ tsp. ground cumin, divided
2 boned, skinned chicken breast halves (1 lb. total)
2 tbsp. tahini (sesame paste)
2 cans (15 oz. each) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 tomatoes, chopped
½ red onion, thinly sliced
½ sliced red bell pepper
1 cup flat-leaf parsley
6 oz. crumbled goat's-milk feta cheese
1. Heat grill to high (450° to 550°). Mix 1 tbsp. each lemon juice and oil, 1 tsp. garlic, and ½ tsp. each salt, pepper, and cumin in a medium bowl. Add chicken and turn to coat.
2. Grill chicken, turning once, until cooked through and browned, about 10 minutes. Let rest, covered, 5 minutes.
3. Whisk together remaining 2 tbsp. each lemon juice and oil, 2 tsp. garlic, Vz tsp. each salt and pepper, and 1 tsp. cumin with the tahini in a large bowl. Add chickpeas, tomatoes, onion, and bell pepper and toss to coat. Divide among 4 plates. Slice chicken and set on top. Sprinkle salads with parsley and cheese.
PER SERVING 503 CAL., 51% (258 CAL.) FROM FAT; 29 G PROTEIN; 29 G FAT (8.9 G SAT.); 32 G CARBO (8.3 G FIBER); 1,175 MG SODIUM; 76 MG CHOL.
Jalapeño corn cakes
Louise Galen, WEST HOLLYWOOD
SERVES 6 | 30 MINUTES
1 large egg
1 cup milk
¾ cup medium-grind cornmeal, preferably stone-ground*
½ cup flour
½ tsp. kosher salt
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. chopped fresh marjoram leaves
3 green onions, chopped, plus sliced onions for garnish
1 jalapeño chile, seeded and chopped
2 cups fresh corn kernels
¼ cup vegetable oil
Sour cream or Greek yogurt
1. Whisk egg and milk together in a medium bowl. Add cornmeal, flour, salt, baking powder, and marjoram, stirringto combine. Fold in chopped onions, jalapeño, and corn.
2. Heat 2 tbsp. oil in a large nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Scoop ¼-cup portions of batter into pan. Cook, turning once, until puffed and browned, about 6 minutes total. Repeat with remaining batter, adding more oil between batches. Serve with sour cream and sliced onions.
* Buy in a well-stocked grocery store or natural-food store.
PER 2-CAKE SERVING 259 CAL., 42% (110 CAL.) FROM FAT; 6.3 G PROTEIN; 13 G FAT (2.1 G SAT.); 32 G CARBO (2.9 G FIBER); 348 MG SODIUM; 39 MG CHOL.
Black pepper tofu and green beans
SERVES 4 | 30 MINUTES
1 lb. green beans, trimmed and halved
2 tbsp. lime juice
2 tbsp. reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 tsp. pepper
14 oz. firm tofu, drained and patted dry
2 tbsp. canola oil
1 tbsp. packed brown sugar
½ cup sliced shallots
1. Bringa medium pot of waterto a boil, add green beans, and cook until bright green, about 3 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water. In a small bowl, mix lime juice, soy sauce, and pepper, then set aside.
2. Cut tofu into ½-in. -thick rectangles. Heat oil in a nonstick frying pan over mediumhigh heat. Add tofu, sprinkle with sugar, and cook, turning occasionally, until evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Stir in shallots and cook until browned, about 3 minutes. Add green beans and cook until warmed, about 3 minutes. Pour in soy mixture and stir to coat. -KATE WASHINGTON
PER SERVING 285 CAL., 37% (105 CAL.) FROM FAT; 17 G PROTEIN; 12 G FAT (1.1 G SAT.); 30 G CARBO (8.6 G FIBER); 276 MG SODIUM; 0 MG CHOL.
Chocolate raspberry bruschetta
Melina Sempill Watts, CALABASAS, CA
SERVES 8 | 30 MINUTES
4 tsp. unsalted butter
16 baguette slices, ¼ in. thick
2 bars (4.4 oz. each) dark chocolate, cut into ½-in. pieces
4 oz. raspberries
1 tbsp. each thinly sliced fresh mint leaves and toasted sliced almonds
1. Spread a little butter onto each side of bread. Cook in a large frying pan over medium-high heat until warm and toasted, turning once, 8 to 10 minutes total.
2. Set a piece of chocolate on center of each toast. Cover and remove from heat. Let sit until chocolate is melted, 5 minutes.
3. Transfer to a serving plate and top with raspberries, mint, and almonds.
PER 2-TOAST SERVING 287 CAL., 41% (118 CAL.) FROM FAT; 5.9 G PROTEIN; 13 G FAT (7.4 G SAT.); 39 G CARBO (4.4 G FIBER); 218 MG SODIUM; 7.3 MG CHOL.