Author: Washington, Kate
Date published: December 1, 2011
Celery fennel salad with preserved lemon and dates
SERVES IO TO 12 | 50 MINUTES
If you can't find preserved lemons to buy, they're easy to make (see sunset, com for a recipe).
¼ cup chopped preserved lemon rind, store-bought or homemade
About 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Sea salt and pepper
1 large bunch celery (about I1A lbs.), leaves trimmed and tough outer fibers removed with a vegetable peeler
2 fennel bulbs (about IV2 lbs. total), stalks trimmed
1 cup Medjool dates (about 4 oz.)
1 cup loosely packed flat-leaf parsley leaves
1. Stir together preserved lemon rind, 2 tbsp. lemon juice, and the oil in a small bowl. Season with salt, pepper, and more lemon juice if needed.
2. Slice celery stalks very thinly on the diagonal, using a mandoline or sharp knife. Cut fennel bulbs in half lengthwise; cut out and discard cores. Thinly slice crosswise. Pit dates and cut into slivers. Combine with celery, fennel, and parsley in a large bowl.
3. Add dressing and toss to coat.
PER SERVING 104 CAL, 535S (55 CAL.) FROM FAT; 1.3 G PROTEIN; 6.4 G FAT (?.9 G SAT.); 13 G CARBO (3 G FIBER); 129 MG SODIUM·; O MG CHOL.
White cheddar-sage popovers
MAKES 12 I 45 MINUTES, PLUS 1 HOUR FOR BATTERTO REST
Use popover pans for higher, airier popovers. (Muffin pans work too, but leave every other cup unfilled so heat circulates.)
2 cups milk
4 large eggs
1 ¾ cups flour
1 tsp. kosher salt
½ tSp. pepper
1 tbsp. chopped fresh sage
1 cup finely shredded sharp white cheddar cheese, divided
¼ cup butter
1. Whisk milk and eggs, then whisk in flour, salt, pepper, and sage. Stir in V2 cup cheese. Let stand 1 hour.
2. Preheat oven to 450° at least 30 minutes before baking. Divide butter among 12 popover cups. Put pans in oven 2 minutes to melt butter. Set a rimmed baking sheet on rack beneath to catch any dripping butter as popovers rise.
3. Stir batter and ladle into cups. Bake 10 minutes. Without opening oven, reduce heat to 375° and bake until popovers are puffed and golden, about 15 minutes more. Top each with a large pinch of remaining cheese and return to oven to melt cheese, 5 minutes.
4. Free popovers from pan by running a thin metal spatula around edge; lift from bottom.
PER POPOVER 166 CAL., 40Ü (67 CAL.) FROM FAT; 8 G PROTEIN; 7.5 G FAT (4.1 G SAT.); 16 G CARBO (0.9 G FIBER); 268 MG SODIUM; 86 MG CHOL.
White bean gratin
SERVES 10 TO 12 I 4 HOURS
This herb-flecked bean dish is great with our festive tri-tip (page 83).
3 cups dried cannellini beans
About 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 onion, sliced into thin half-moons
2 oz. piece slab bacon (or 2 oz. thick-cut regular bacon)
4 garlic cloves, crushed, plus 1 tsp. finely chopped garlic
2 large sage sprigs, plus 2 tsp. finely chopped fresh sage
2 bay leaves
1 tsp. pepper, divided
1 tbsp. kosher salt
6 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
2 tsp. finely chopped fresh rosemary
1 tbsp. lemon zest
1 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
1. Put beans in a large pot and cover with 1 in. cold water. Bring to a boil; turn off heat and let beans sit, covered, 1 hour. Drain and return to pot. Add 2 cups chicken broth, 7 cups water, the onion, bacon, crushed garlic, sage sprigs, bay leaves, and 1Zz tsp. pepper. Simmer, uncovered, about 1 hour, or until beans are just tender.
2. Preheat oven to 375°. Add salt and cook beans until soft but not falling apart, 20 to 30 minutes.
3. Discard bacon, sage sprigs, and bay leaves. Drain beans into a colander set over a bowl; reserve liquid. Pour beans back into pot.
4. Blend 2 cups beans, Vz cup bean liquid, and 1A cup oil in a blender until smooth. Stir purée into beans along with chopped garlic and sage, rosemary, and remaining % tsp. pepper. Pour beans into a 3-qt. gratin dish and add enough bean liquid to just cover beans (if you have liquid left, save for soup; if you don't have enough, use more broth).
5. Bake until top is starting to set, 25 minutes. Mix zest, panko, and remaining 2 tbsp. oil in a bowl. Sprinkle over beans and bake until bubbly and browned and liquid has thickened, 30 minutes.
PER SERVING 261 CAL., 28U (73 CAL.) FROM FAT; 13 G PROTEIN; 8.5 G FAT (l.6 G SAT.); 33 G CARBO (8.4 G FIBER); 432 MG SODIUM; 5.2 MG CHOL.