Author: Egan, Sophie
Date published: April 1, 2012
Why Wait till lunchtime?
Bacon, egg, and toast salad with OJ dressing
SERVES 4 I 40 MINUTES
For a warm salad - the way we like it - let the vegetables come to room temperature and toast the bread just before serving.
½ English cucumber
2 cups slivered orange or red bell peppers
2 cups quartered cherry tomatoes
1/3 cup slivered red onion, rinsed and patted dry
About ¼ tsp. kosher salt
½ tsp. orange zest
1 tbsp. each orange juice and lemon juice
3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
6 slices Canadian bacon
4 large eggs
7 oz. multigrain bread, sliced 3A in. thick, toasted Pepper
1. Quarter cucumber lengthwise, then slice ½ in. thick. Toss cucumber, peppers, tomatoes, and onion in a large bowl; set aside.
2. Whisk together 1A tsp. salt, the orange zest, orange and lemon juices, and oil in a small bowl. Set dressing aside.
3. Brown bacon in a large nonstick frying pan over medium heat until golden, turning once, 4 minutes. Cut into 1A-Jn. strips.
4. Put eggs in a small saucepan, cover with water, and bring to a boil. Turn off heat, cover pan, and let sit 3 minutes for softcooked. Crack eggs all over on counter, transfer to a bowl of ice water, and let cool 2 to 3 minutes. Peel and halve lengthwise.
5. Meanwhile, tear bread into Vi- to 1-in. pieces. Add to vegetables along with bacon and dressing, and toss until evenly coated.
6. Divide salad among 4 shallow bowls and top each with 2 egg halves. Season to taste with pepper and more salt.
Make ahead: Up to 2 days, chop vegetables and cook eggs (let sit 10 minutes).
PER 2-CUP SERVING 415 CAL1, 46% (189 CAL.) FROM FAT; 24 G PROTEIN; 21 G FAT (4.7 G SAT.); 32 G CARBO (5.7 G FIBER); 1,037 MG SODIUM; 236 MG CHOL.
3 MORE WAYS "^ TOWAKE UP TOVEGGIES
Carrot pancakes Mix shredded carrot, toasted walnuts, vanilla extract, and cinnamon into whole-grain pancake batter. Top pancakes with mild fresh goat cheese, honey, and berries.
Vegetable muffins Fold chives and small blanched, drained broccoli florets and carrot slices into whole-wheat muffin batter. Spoon into muffin cups and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
Breakfast pizza Top a pizza crust with shredded fontina, blanched asparagus, and caramelized onions. Bake, then add fresh orégano, pepper, and spoonfuls of scrambled eggs.