Date published: August 1, 2012
Spicy grilled chicken sandwiches
SERVES 4 I 30 MINUTES
1 ½ lbs. (about 2) boned, skinned chicken breast halves, halved crosswise and pounded until Vi in. thick
1 ½ tbsp. vegetable oil
1 tsp. each kosher salt, paprika, chili powder, and cayenne
½ tsp. pepper
4 focaccia or ciabatta rolls, split
¼ cup mayonnaise
3 tbsp. crumbled blue cheese
4 leaves butter lettuce
4 slices heirloom tomato
i. Heat grill to medium (350° to 450° In a medium bowl, coat chicken with oil, salt, and spices. Grill chicken, turning once, until no longer pink in center, about 6 minutes total. Grill roll halves just until toasted and grill marks appear, abouti minute.
2. Mix mayonnaise and blue cheese and spread 1 heaping tbsp. on cut sides of each roll. Assemble sandwiches with chicken, lettuce, and tomato.
PER SERVING 503 CAL., 47Ü (236 CAL.) FROM FAT; 43 G PROTEIN; 26 G FAT (4.9 G SAT.); 23 G CARBO (2 G FIBER); 1,058 MG SODIUM; 119 MG CHOL.
Karen Rose, mariposa, ca
SERVES 6 I 30 MINUTES
12 oz. egg noodles
12 oz. sliced cremini mushrooms
1 cup chopped onion
1 medium eggplant (12 oz.), cut into 1-in. cubes
About 2 tbsp. each butter and olive oil
1 tsp. salt
Vi tsp. pepper
3 tbsp. flour
VU cups vegetable broth
1 cup milk
Vt cup sour cream or crème fraîche
V« tsp. nutmeg
2 tbsp. chopped flat-leaf parsley
i. Cook noodles in a large pot as package directs. Transfer to a wide, shallow bowl.
2. Meanwhile, in a large wide pot over high heat, cook mushrooms, onion, and eggplant in 2 tbsp. each butter and oil, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes, adding a little more oil if needed.
3. Stir in salt, pepper, and flour and cook 1 minute. Add broth and milk, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes.
4. Put sour cream and nutmeg in a bowl. Stir in hot broth mixture 1A cup at a time, then return to pot. Spoon eggplant sauce over noodles and sprinkle with parsley.
PER SERVING 391 CAL-, 3336 (l29 CAL.) FROM FAT; 12 G PROTEIN; 14 G FAT (5.7 G SAT.); 55 G CARBO (4.8 G FIBER); 625 MG SODIUM; 67 MG CHOL.
Shirley Bellman, northridge, ca
SERVES 6 I 20 MINUTES
1 lb. raw ahi tuna, cut into 1A-Jn. cubes
3 tbsp. reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 tbsp. toasted sesame oil
1 tsp. Asian chili oil
2 tbsp. ponzu sauce*
1 garlic clove, minced
1 green onion, sliced diagonally
2 tbsp. roughly chopped cilantro leaves
1 tsp. toasted sesame seeds
Mix all ingrethents together in a medium bowl. Serve with rice crackers.
*Bnd ponzu in the Asian-foods aisle.
PER 1A-CUP SERVING 139 CAL, 26% (36 CAL.) FROM FAT; 22 G PROTEINJ 4 G FAT (O.S G SAT.); 1.7 G CARBO (0.2 G FIBER); 288 MG SODIUM; O MG CHOL
SERVES 8 I 30 MINUTES
1 cup whipping cream
½ cup powdered sugar
8 oz. mascarpone cheese
1 tbsp. lemon zest
1 pkg. (3 oz.) soft ladyfingers
6 tbsp. limoncello or thawed frozen lemonade concentrate
6 oz. each blackberries, raspberries, and blueberries
1. Whip cream, sugar, mascarpone, and lemon zest with a mixer until soft peaks barely form.
2. Lay half of the ladyfingers in a2-qt. glass serving dish or an 8-in. square pan, separating them a bit if needed for fit. Brush ladyfingers with half of limoncello. Dollop and spread with half of cream mixture, then sprinkle with half of mixed berries. Repeat layers, -april cooper
PER SERVING 342 CAL., 61!« (209 CAL.) FROM FAT; 4.5 G PROTEIN; 23 G FAT (14 G SAT.); 30 G CARBO (3.3 G FIBER); 43 MG SODIUM; 85 MG CHOL. *